Milagres Church

20 December 2006

The Church of Our Lady of Miracles, Milagres, better known as Milagres church, was built by Bishop Thomas de Castro, a Theatine priest of Salsette in 1680. It is thus more that 300 years old.
Attached to the Church is the Chapel of St. Monica, the Patroness of the Catholic Mother’s Sodality, the first of its kind in the Diocese when it was started in 1887 by Fr. Torri, S.J. He built the Chapel probably the same year. It contains a magnificent altar with a French painting of St. Monica and her son St. Augustine which is a rare piece of art.


Post a Comment

Copyright © Mangalore Live